Monday, January 12, 2009

Massage Envy

A monthly massage is not only my treat to myself, but I think it is extremely important for people who are as physical as I am. I have gone to the same woman for years for my monthly massage, so much so that it’s almost like going to my hair dresser – she knows everything about my life and we talk about it as well as hers. With tip and all I spend around $80 a month for an hour long massage and stretching. I think it is worth it and so relaxing and invigorating for the body that I dream of the days I have one. With one coming up tomorrow, I wanted to review why I think a massage is much needed, a professional one. Also, if anyone is interested in the woman I go to, leave a comment and I can write you back with her information.

What is a Massage? According to WikiPedia it is the practice of soft tissue manipulation with physical, functional, and in some cases psychological purposes and goals. Massage involves acting on and manipulating the body with pressure – structured, unstructured, stationary, or moving – tension, motion, or vibration, done manually or with mechanical aids.


Not only does a massage feel good, but it has many other benefits that can be felt almost immediately. Medial research has shown that the benefits of massage can include: pain relief, reduced anxiety and depression, temporarily reduced blood pressure and heart rate. In addition to these, it helps regulate blood flow and release toxins that build up in your muscles after intense workouts.

I am by no means a Doctor, but I believe in the benefits of a massage. I leave relaxed and have an hour of pure mediation in addition to soothing sore muscles. If you sit at a computer all day like I do, you will feel it the very next day. Tomorrow is the day for my first massage of 2009 and I'm excited!

No comments: