Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Iconic TV Series


Mad Men is one of my favorite shows and has a lot to offer, but it isn't getting the ratings. It has on average around 1.5MM viewers compared to around 19MM for CSI. But, Mad Men has a lot more to offer than an episode of CSI. It has meaning, culture, fashion, pushes the limits of comfort, insight into advertising and much more.

Since I used to be in advertising, I was first drawn to the show because of that. I was curious what it was like back in the 60s, when my Dad was just starting off his career in advertising. From what I hear, it was very similar to the show which makes Mad Men even more fascinating to me.

It has been awarded the Golden Globe and was crowned best drama at this year's Emmy Awards, the first basic cable show to win this series. It was featured on the Halloween special of The Simpsons and was even a category on Jeopardy.

I love watching the characters stories unravel, discovering who Don Draper really is and imaging life as a woman back then. If you watch, it's fascinating to watch how history repeats itself. In the season 2 series finale the cast is worried about Kennedy's speech about the Soviet Union erecting offensive-missile sites in Cuba and everyone thinks it could be the end of the world. It's weird, my Dad has told me this story in the view of an American soldier being only 25 at the time, and here it is on the TV 46 years later and I"m 27. And all this happens in this episode when right now we are concerned about our economic crisis, it really strikes a chord with it's viewers.

It's one of the best shows out there and I suggest you start to catch up. Even if the drama and advertising doesn't draw you in then Don Draper, played by Jon Hamm, should. Something about his character a woman can't resist...he's powerful in the office and in the bedroom. The kind of man that has all this power and you want him as your own. He's sexy, smart, successful and cool...he's a dangerous man and the kind every woman falls for.

No comments: