Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I Be Pumping My Fist

It’s been released, the Top 10 most watched shows of the decade. I’m going to have to say I agree with some of them, but others I could do without.

Friends is the number 1 most watched show of the decade and I’m going to have to say I agree. I grew up in the Friends era. Long before TiVo’s and Internet TV where we actually made sure to be in front of the TV for that beloved half hour and didn’t even get up to go to the restroom. I think it's still a common word in a lot of salons - I'll take the “Rachel Cut” - whether her short bob or her longer layered look. I don’t know about you, but I still can’t resist a good jam session to “I’ll Be There For You”.

Right up there with Friends in my book is Frasier. I was a kid when Cheers ended but I used to watch it over ice cream with a snuggled up Beagle at my feet with my Dad. So when Frasier spun off I had to watch it. Surprisingly, I liked it and watched it all the way to the end, following the longest love story ever told. I will also give them Spin City, even thought I never watched it I appreciate the triumph that Michael J Fox had over Parkinson’s and worked to lead a regular life before disclosing his disease to the rest of the world.

I’ll accept Survivor as it’s still running, American Idol even though I can’t stand it, ER cause it was the first in the over dramatic hospital shows that now paint our screens weekly and I used to watch it, Grey’s Anatomy because it’s the new ER, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire cause I tuned in to see someone win a million dollars, and Everybody Loves Raymond cause my Mom liked it.

But, I can’t believe Joe Millionaire made the Top 10 List! WHAT? A show about a man who was supposed to have a lot of money and woman swooned over him only to discover it was a big lie! It just makes women look so bad. Not all of us are money hungry plastic bimbos looking for a husband to take care of us. It just made woman look awful and it was no surprise the relationship didn’t last, just like the show.

So, I’m ok with the list. At first I thought Seinfeld was missing, but then discovered it ended in 1998 falling just short of the decade drop off. I can’t wait to see the list 10 years from now – it will be packed with reality TV and junkie TV that I like to watch. I wouldn’t be surprised if Jon and Kate Plus 8 is on that list- boo!

All I know is that the trashiest most ridiculous show out there right now is Jersey Shore on MTV but I tell you what, I’m watching it and I be pumping my fist everywhere I go!


No comments: